You may be tempted to decorate your home with a beautiful bouquet of lilies, but doing so could mean trouble for your cat. Members of the true lily and day lily families have been shown to cause acute kidney failure in cats. Some types of true lilies include Easter lilies, tiger lilies and Japanese Show lilies. Even a small amount of exposure (a few bites on a leaf, ingestion of pollen, etc.) may result in kidney failure. Cats often vomit within a few hours of exposure and become lethargic.
A member of the Liliaceae family, the hyacinth contains dangerous alkaloids that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, depression and tremors in cats and dogs.
There are more spring flowers that can harm your furry family members. I think these are the most common that we use in our gardens.
Again, if you suspect your dog or cat has ingested a toxic plant, call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center hotline at 888-426-4435 and contact your veterinarian. It’s always better to be safe than sorry.
Share this post